Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Welcome Back, Knotions

I was excited to learn recently that Knotions, a free online knitting magazine founded in 2008, is being relaunched. After taking a hiatus for a few years, editor Jody Richards is completely revamping the site, making it more beautiful and more accessible. It's now tablet and mobile friendly, with other great improvements as well—like printable PDFs for each pattern.

I've had a soft spot in my heart for Knotions ever since the magazine published one of my very first designs, the Rising Fog shawl, in fall 2009.

Rising Fog Shawl_3

Rising Fog Shawl_5

 With 303 beads (placed using the crochet hook method), Rising Fog is not a quick project by any means. But oh so satisfying to make and to wear! Knit with a laceweight alpaca/silk blend (I used Classic Elite's Silky Alpaca Lace), it's warm yet light as air. 

Rising_Fog_bead_detail

I dug around in my Flickr photos and found my original sketch for the shawl (which takes its name from an 1884 letter by poet Emily Dickinson):

Rising_Fog_Sketch

I also found an ink sketch I made in 2011 of fog rising from the Pelham hills to the east of my home in Amherst, Massachusetts:

Rising Fog_Pelham Hills

I still love Rising Fog and remain grateful to Jody for publishing it in Knotions. I can't wait to see what's ahead for the magazine. By the way, she's accepting submissions and welcomes both new and experienced designers; get the info here.

You can also hear her talk about the revamped Knotions on the Ready, Set, Knit! podcast.

Best of luck, Jody! So glad to have Knotions back!

1 comment:

jody said...

thanks Bonnie! i'm thrilled to be back and enjoyed reading all your lovely comments :)

and i loved working with you as well! Rising Fog is a great design and your attention to detail made the editing a breeze!